As a therapist, I always tell my clients how important it is to express emotions. I am one of the countless psychologists whose experimental studies affirmed the hypothesis that repressing adverse emotions lead to negative outcomes. These negative outcomes may be a low quality of life, anxiety, depression, psychosomatic reactions, heart attack, higher chances for injuries etc.
I cannot point enough how important expressing emotions is. Still, it is even more important how we express them. I have noticed that expressing anger, rage, fury, aggression is the best through running, boxing or other sport where you can waste a large amount of energy. Doing the aforementioned is quite beneficial as it transforms harmful emotions into something productive. Expressing anxiety is good through labour. Make your fears a challenge. Expressing sadness, grief, sorrow, despair or pain through your passions is the best. What do I mean by advising you to express emotions through passion?
If you can express sadness through poems, letters, diary – please, write!
If you can express grief through painting – please, paint!
If you can express pain through planting flowers – please, make your home or garden flourish!
There is a way to express emotions productively. Maybe at this moment you have no idea what your passion is or what is the most desirable way for you? Let me tell you, there is no bad or wrong way as long as you are not hurting yourself or someone else.
These are 10 ways to discover your passion:
- Think of the things you enjoyed to do growing up.
- Try to remember when you were a child, what did you dream of doing when you grew up.
- What is your favourite topic to talk about?
- Remember things you do that make you lose track of time.
- Is there anyone whose life make you feel envy and why?
- If you had a chance to start over your education, what would you do differently?
- If you had only a few minutes to make the whole world listen to you, what would you say, shout, sing?
- What would you do with your life if you had no fear?
- What would you do with your life if you knew you can’t fail?
- What would you do with your life if you had all the money in the world?
Try writing your answers and thinking about what is your passion and what would make you feel good about yourself and your life. Start doing it and express your emotions in a productive way… give them a sense. Give them meaning.
Let me know what your passion is…